Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Real world Ahead!

So,it is just another day in life.. I did my honest work, came back home at 6 and decided to watch a movie.. As always i did not know which movie shall i watch till i reached the theatre.. I watched Woody Allen movie, quite liked it..
The day is over.. Another day in life.. I dont know what is it that i like to do.. I have been associated with innovation, sales and i always like what i do, but then there i something missing.. I always feel ething around me is too systematic.. An MBA is basically hired to run large systems with almost known and predictable inefficency.. There are some lucky ones who have to face extra ordinary situations during their tenure, but then owning extra ordinary challenges for someone's else' business is not really "luck".. If i see around me, everyone is struck in same mess.. A consultant is making ppts, investment banker - excels, PE guy - evaluations, reseacher knows that his data indicates preditable, but he does it anyway.. Its all standard.. Initially everyone feels, whats the big deal.. i mean handling 100 people was always me, thts where my leadership was proven and b school gave me an admit, thinking big and passion was always me.. BUT, am i using it?? NO, not really.. Someone used all that once, when he started his busiess.. then he grew it, got bored and handed it over to MBAs to run the systems and make money by solving systemic inefficiencies.. It is easy, fair money.. but then what?? Money does pull you, but then to an extent.. After that, there has to be more.. Somethng which is created by yu, challnges that are yours.. I used to think, i will never pick up book again, i am done.. but now i like to grow, read more on different subjects, think beyond work, think of new ideas, learn frm all cultures.. Thats something unique about ISB, when you come out, you just want to thnk and do.. Sometimes i used to wonder, why so many people, why 20 hours schedule.. It makes you hungry, makes you learn from differences, teaches you passion when u spend endless nights on your ideas.. it takes away all inhibitions.. it says, you are human, you can do a lot, you have 24 hours in a day, you have millions of friends and if you have a case, money is never an issue..
I have nt done justice to my degree yet, i am a part of a large system, i am good at it.. but my school did not make me an MBA, it made me a thinker, doer, it told me in multiple ways, nations progress from ideas, not following.. Now that i think of the last words that ISB had displayed on its exit when i left in 2009 " REAL WORLD AHEAD", i smile at them.. really.. thats so true.. The real world needs both followers and leaders, either you give in or you find your way.. this is the ultimate choice you will make..

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me the matrix. Real world sucking you like an engine with we becoming a set of AA batteries (PE, Consultants, MBA's).

TONY said...

Recently i read "Imagining India" by Nandan Nilekani. Your thoughts are so much in sync with the entrepreneur...

TONY said...

I am a great fan of urs and i am also beaten by this entrepreneur bug..
this is my mail id
manishankarsngh007@gmail.com
if i can be a help to you in anyway ,please let me know.

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

Hey Garima,

Sowmya here. Sent you an email at your yahoo id. I hope you have recieved it. I was trying to get in touch.

Mita said...

Thats true Gary... ISB has left me more hungry on my way out then when I came in .. just introduced me to the buffet available and how much one can eat in a 24 hour day ... :)