Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Liverpool

It was march 1 and i had to travel to Liverpool on a weekday.. I took a night train from london , the journey is 2 hours. I had made a booking in one of the hotels near lime street which is in the heart of the city. I must admit, though the choice of hotel was made on internet, i quite liked it. I had some work on tuesday morning, so day started early, but it ended by mid day; then on was my tryst with the third largest city in England. I walked my way to the waterfront.. The river side is a beautiful walk and there is a nice pub overlooking the river which shows the liverpool soccer matches recording which you can enjoy over a coffee or drink.. I started with it.. It was good to grab bite on a riverside place..
I then decided to take a hop on and hop off tour on the bus to travel around the city.. The city boasts of magnificient old buildings.. the ports of Liverpool were famous for trade and slavery trade was prominent here.. i happened to spend a fraction of my time in museums near Albert Dock educating myself on the city and what it stood for in old times.. the city is associated with some magnificient ships like titanic which unfortunately wre also symbolic of tragey.. There are large cathedrals one of which is desingned by the guy who happned to also design the red telephone booths which i am sure all of us have either seen or been into..
The city to me looked quite small.. city center is paved walk, no traffic and gives a small town feel..
i might be wrong but i always like people in small towns.. they are more open and simple.. same was for liverpool.. they have some kind of accent which tends to grow on you.. food is average, nothing tht i came across worth mentioning.. BTW, they ahve some grand historically relevant pubs and hotels.. the beatles spirit is all around, there are special pubs which play their music and are meant for Beatles fans.. :)
I reached back to station well in advance as my long walk ended into it.. i decided to stay put in customer lounge.. a brit born chinese, who happned to be really sad entered into the place.. he started praising india women and india and given that he decided to completely ignore my laptop, i decided to talk for 5-10 mins.. frankly, it was kind of scary moment.. he started crying saying life is tough and lots of things which i could probably not comprehend.. i decided to stay cool and in name of humanity not to run away and leave the person in misery.. i got some food for myself and him.. he got better and smiled, in the end he said i wanted to die but not nemore after which i completely ignored him.. more people came in so felt better.. finally took trai back to london and sweet home..

People, London is damn expensive.. You can afford 10 times better lifestyle with same expense in any city outside.. :) [ will add pics of liverpool in time ]

1 comment:

Joel Hugentobler said...

Never been to London! looks great. love the chopper