Friday, August 15, 2008

Bundle Of Joys!!

This is one of the most wonderful days of my stay at ISB and i am sure nothing can beat it. The day was full of fun, laughter, beauty and ofcourse i was surrounded by the species of humans i am most comfortable with, the kids.:). I think i love kids of all sizes, shapes and colors the most in this world. They are happy, innocent and full of life.




The day reminded me of an incident when i used to visit an NGO in Bangalore. I was sitting and helping a girl do her homework, when she suddenly looked at my hands and said you are wearing a pretty bangle. I said thanks, i will get one of your size when i come next. She was silent for a moment and said, how many people love you? I said its surely less than the number of people who love you. Do they love you as much as you love me? This question left me speechless. Here i was, a stranger, spending two hours of my day, yes, i loved her, but then was my love the benchmark for her? That moment taught me the cruelty of life. Being brought up among strangers, being shouted for every little mistake, being cared for being a rare event, was all she knew about life. Life is not same for all of us. At the age of 12, someone knew this fact of life. She changed the topic and said i am lucky that you come, i know one day you will go away, only mothers stay and my mother did not stay. This killed me further, how smoothly has she accepted the fact of life? She is just 12, no one to get angry with, demand from, every happiness is for a moment and they know it wont last for long, still they live life.

Probably i saw hundreds of her today. And i know that when God takes away something, he gives something too. I was sad to see a little kid looking sad and not playing, after 30 mins i saw another kid, 2 inch longer than him :), carrying him in his lap. I knew, the baby was not alone, there is one of his size who cares for him and for him he is the family.

One of those days when i feel, i wish God had changed the rules of the game and he could keep all the kids in this world happy till they grow old and decide to ruin their life or keep it good. Each one of them deserves to be unreasonable, demanding and looked after. When i first held my little nephew in my arms i knew he was a bundle of joy and that i need to network with many more bundle of joys to grow in life. :)

3 comments:

Rakesh Ranjan said...

This is a hardfact of life that underpriviledged realise at a very young stage. And then there are few amongst them who are really very talented and need some support. A very touchy moment is desribed here.

Vibhushan said...

Really touching experience. One which can change the way you look at life.

ranjit nair said...

You are right Garima, young children who are brought up under difficult circumstances tend to show a greater maturity towards understanding life.But it can be a cause of worry if it's the lack of similar joy that others get which is worrying them.