Saturday, November 21, 2009

Where life = Money!!

Last week was a bit tough on my physcal self. I had 20 mins between a meeting and getting somethings sorted. I decided to run 2.5 and get the work squeezed in the 20 mins. Everything worked out well, just that while coming back i fell on stone stairs, had some scratches here and there, but dint bother till they started showing two days later.
Worse was thursday evening, i started getting some slight eye infection in my left eye, again i dint bother much, but it was paining too much by friday mrng. Not being from bangalore, i usually go to this brand hospital chain for any of my issues. They recently opened a lavish clinic near my home and having too much work on my plate, i thought i must just get started with treatment without making it worse. I enter into the clinic and the lady cuts a bill even before asking me what was the issue. Anway, i pay. She puts me through a high heel fashionable doc and i am like wow, docs used to be smart but now they are glamorous too. The lady turned out to be hollow up above in her head. She checked my eye and told me that i had some severe issue and i might loose vision etc. I am usually cool headed, things did stike me once in head, but i just took it heads on. I said ok, so whats it? She said i will refer you to the biggest hospital in our chain, they will hospitalize you for a couple of days and if things work fine, you will be good. Now, she was getting over my nerves. "BOSS, i asked you a question, what is the problem??". She said i am refering to senior doc. Things will be fine. "Hang on, its just one eye, i get that as per your observation i am gettin blind by one eye,BIG DEAL, chill. I need answer to my question what is it?" She gives me some explanation and asks me to take it as urgent and meet senior doc immediately. I go out and ask the receptionist and she says the earliest you can get is next day afternoon. THAT WAS IT!! I was like Boss, why the hell did i pay to this idiot doc, she dsnt even know what is wrong, she refers me to a hospital in your chain, where again i need to pay a huge amount for a disease which none of you knows about AND above all, you have put anaesthesia in my eyes inplace of antibiotic, my eyes have been tossing between the tables for last 4 HOURS. GET LOST!! In meanwhile they tried very hard to freak me out. You should call your family, get your clothes packed, hospitalization is must. AND all this while, i am like, give me a break, i am not creating an issue out of it till i am sure that its going.
I called up my colleagues who is from bangalore and asked him, so who is the best eye doctor running private practice. I take his number and go to this doc. He looks into my eyes and says, eyes are good, dont worry, nothing major. Its just an infection. Stay here for 30 mins, will monitor which medicine works for you and you can go. I was like, "no hospital? And i thought i was getting blind?" He said NO, no hospitalization required and you are not getting blind. You need to take good care of your eye till it says i am fine and come and show me again tomorrow or may be just call me. We will see again in 5 days. I was stunned, i narrated the whole story of previous doctor and hospital to him, he just smiled and said, some people have equated life to money. There is no harm, but doctors job is to tell people they are not dying because he is there and not that they are dying even when he is not. The doc said that what hurts me is the fact that incase she thought your eyes had serious infection, she should have atleast put a doze of antibiotic in it, she dint, which means your eyes did not get treatment for 6 hours despite things being so serious as per that hospital's staff. Then he told me, why do you go there? Because its big brand, because you think they charge good money so they have good doctors?? I said i just know that i have visited that place thrice, and i see a pattern now. Last time i went was when i caught cold during swine flu scare days, the doc was again an idiot, she told me to take her experimental medicines for 2 days and incase i develop any kind of breathing trouble i should not see her, instead go to the main hospital of the chain and see some doctor. That time i questioned, why dont you do the tests now?? why wait for 48 hours to die?? And why should i go to someone else who has not treated me for 48 hours when my trouble is increased.

All i know is that Manipal chain is becoming ridiculous. They have converted medical business into money business. They should call their spokes blood test clinics, throw out all idiot doctors who are good for nothing and even worse is that their spokes use their brand and refer you to main Manipal for every treatment you take because i think they get some commission on referals, but when things go wrong, they say we are separate from Manipal. Good facilities and services without qualified doctors does not make brand, its a medical business. If your spokes mess up with my life, your main hospital does not get business even if your idiot spoke refers me a 100 times to you.

Here i am, with perfect eyes, its been 48 hours of proper care and medication at home, no hospitalization, and i can just tell all, that dont look at "cure and care" clinics, they should be renamed as beauty clinics. Go for doctors and not brands. When it comes to life, you give to a person who is responsible and not a brand which nourishes 100 idiots under it.

No comments: