Thursday, September 13, 2007

Shankar and Tony..

"If i were to walk on that path, i would have known that life drifts at every mile."
This is something which strikes to me day in and day out.
I have been staying in this house for over an year now. Shankar and his dog Tony visit my house to deliver water and grocery as and when needed. Tony is a fat, happy go lucky dog who is loved by one and all in my apartments. I like Tony for i find him to be a bindaas doggie who loves to live and play. He is always smiling and when he wants to be pampered, he will jump on you to get his head scratched. So, he has kind of managed his life well and built an extensive network of people he loves to be with.
Shankar is a proud owner of a small shop near my house. A 14 year old boy with oodles of confidence that capability to earn brings to most of us. Shankar considers me to be like his elder sister whom he can ask 200 questions. He is happy and progressive. He came to my house to deliver water container on sunday. Tony followed him inside house jumping and hopping. I was working on my laptop. Shankar asked me to show how laptop works. I told him abut keyboard and started explaining him some basic features. He looked happy and excited. Suddenly he turned and asked me a question," Didi, ye button dabane ke aapko log paise dete hai, mein saare din kaam karta hun, phir bhi mere bimar papa ki dawai nahi la sakta. Kya mein mehenti nahi hun? Jab mein sadak pe dhakke kha sakta hun to aapki tarah padh bhi sakta hun. Kyun nahi hai meri kismat mein ye sab."
I saw an expression of deep rooted sadness on his face. I knew he had questioned the strategy of the world created by God. After thiking for sometime i told him that life has its own balance. Those who are unlucky get everything on platter and dont even realize the importance of what they have. Those who are lucky struggle to get what they want and know what getting that means. I told him that degree and education creates mediocres. It makes people who just know limits. Its the real grass root struggle that takes out the best out of person. And then i knew, its a fact. Bill Gates, Ambanis were the guys who did not know that 2 Billion is needed to run the kind of business they dreamt of. Shankar looked happy, he expressed his desire to learn english. He went back to his world, with a happy Tony following him.
I knew he had brought out the vanity in my existence by talking about this. I knew, i wanted to attach to people and remove some hurdles from their lives. I want to share my happiness and growth with people who have not been fortunate to experience it. And then i knew that i bow my head infront of the bravery with which he is fighting with life everyday, with that smile. I want to bring economic prosperity to grass roots. I want them to know that improving GDP is a right of one and all. I will work towards improving village economy. I have a vision and i want to make it a sight.

8 comments:

Jay said...

Good thought.

All the best for your vision. There is a lot more required to be done at grass root level. I feel people like us who can make the difference don't have the bias for action. Unless we get up and start doing things in these directions, this would not start.

Hope you can nurture your vision with your dreams and actions to make it a sight come true.

Vibhushan said...

Wow. Seems to be a perfect Prakash Mehra - Salim Javed - Amitabh Bachchan plot. :-)
Sorry to make fun at wrong occasion but somehow I am not much impressed by the logic of being lucky or unlucky. I am a strong believer of making our own options for whatever situation one is in. If it was only disadvantages or misfortune that had driven all successes, no family business would have successfully went on for ages. Mukesh and Anil Ambani would have not kept on increasing more wealth in their pockets. Successful companies like Apple would have not continued to come out with better and more better products. For me, its of analyzing the situation and creating options for yourself, and making most of it. This can be done one anyone who has the ability and willingness to do it.

Garima Ganeriwala said...

In a way, i agree to you[ especially the movie plot part :)]. But i think you need to see life more. Sometimes arrogance of being in right situations and place makes us blind.If you go and look at world around, you would know that ignorance is not really always ruled by humans. Sometimes, your situations are too strong to limit your scope. I see kids in villages for whom cameras are still a mystery. Even if they are strong and know, how to chart out their way, their world is too limited to give them a vision of extended dream. Poeple like you and me are capable of expanding the world, so that their scope improves.

Vibhushan said...

What makes you think that I have not seen world? This is certainly not a forum where I would like to share what all things I have seen, not necessarily only in villages.
This is the fallacy for many of us. I tell you, I have been through the phase you are in right now. No one in this world is going to come and help out anyone else. That is simply not possible. Every guy has to make his own options and pursue it. Options may not be that attractive on day one, but with sheer persistence and sincerity, they can expand to unimaginable extents.

Garima Ganeriwala said...

What am i in right now? Just an expanded thought process? Is it that disturbing? You think help is something which is sought by people like you and me? If yes, then its better that i do not write all this. This is to realize that we do not need help, for there are people who can really do a lot with all that we have. This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's "I". This is to promote the feeling of "we". I am saying that we have more to do in life then what we are doing now. We do not need help to do it, we need to extend our span. But, first of all move out of "I". Destiny has anyway left world on its own, but we have fought it to gain some knowledge which can help others. I dont know why do i have a feeling that education does not teach what it needs to.

Vibhushan said...

Charity begins at home! If "I" is not strong enough, "we" cannot emerge out of it. Education can only help us be employable and earn a livelihood. I don't think if there is any other use of it. This helping others and self, doing good to a greater mass and all is okay! But nothing moves on an empty stomach.
I never said that I need help. All I said was that I should be serious and vigilant enough to realise what are my options, and how can I make best out of it.
I agree with you that we can do much more than what we are doing right now, but that effort should also benefit me primarily. Else I don't see an incentive.
And about what you are in right now, may be, I should be making that comments. All I was trying to convey was that I had also gone through similar thought process, just to realize that I need to make myself stronger, in process I will pull others also with me.

Garima Ganeriwala said...

Haan mein bhi wohi kar rahi hun.. I am not asking to do charity, i am talking of enablement. And plz do let me know when will you feel that you have grown enough to support others. Actually defining that limit takes lifetime for some people.

rose said...

nice one...we need to define our own life...perhaps you cannot be bill gates but anyone can be tony :)