Sunday, March 23, 2008

A world beyond!!

Its about my journey over this weekend. We happened to visit some remote places in rajastan. Its not the first time that i went there, but i think i observed quite a few things. I liked the journey coz it was my whole family with me. Sitting next to my driving brother, i wondered how long will it take to reach, and thanks to the amazing highways, we were there in straight 4hours. Its our ancestral temple place called, Fatehpur, which was our destination. We have our kuldevi there and we try to visit the place atleast once in an year. I dont know i believe in God or not, but i do have an element of faith that there is something good about having faith. :) I like everything about that place. The inherent simplicity, the lifetsyle, inherent little happiness. I love it all. I so badly want to peep through those windows and see what life with no complexity would look like.
The earlier stays used to be at our own temple house, but this time we stayed in a hotel called, "Haveli". The hotel was constructed in a haveli. Houses there are huge mansions. They have big squares surrounded by huge rooms. When i was a little child, papa took me to our Haveli, it is supposed to be the largest mansion in the surrounding, it had 7 squares, huge doors, a well in back yard, beautifully painted walls. I was like, papa was a king may be. :) Papa took me through half of the haveli as its too big to cover. He showed me room which belonged to my dadi ma. The yard, where cows and camels used to ke kept. It was in bad state then. No one lives there anymore. The haveli was left when my dad was 4-5 years old may be. But i remember, as a kid it was all like a fairy tale to me.
Today, after years may be, it still is a fairy tale to me. There are cemented small roads, no big cars, some 8 seater autos, huge huge mansions, small, little shops and those windows i want to look into. As i stood in the temple, i remembered of a girl whom i have seen everytime i have visited this temple. And i said God, will she still be here? God is powerful, i was sitting in one corner pondering, when i heard the temple bell and i looked at the girl's face, yes, she is there. I did not say anything to her, i am sure she would not recognize me, its just one of those little memories in my head. Its all so familiar. Some facts of life never change.
We headed for some market tour. There were small shops of laquere bangles, shining laces, suits, shoes. I decided to buy a pair of pearl bangles for me. Two women slightly shy looked at me and said wear both, you have bought them.(there is no system of carrying bangles in packet, you buy and you wear.) I smiled and kind of felt proud to possess the white delicacy. This is called simple pleasure. I never felt so when i shop worth thousands in bangalore or delhi.
I love the way youngsters dressed like salman khan, ride on their bike to no where. There are shy young girls, who will sit on small shops and spend hours bargaining for local lipsticks worth 15. The old women sitting infront of houses and keeping an eye on neighbours. Ever wondered, life is just so simple for these people. Its about two little sweet shops, a visit to temple for prasad, about the latests in town gossip and a peaceful sleep. There are no BIG cars, no furniture shops, no big dreams which keep you awake whole night. Its about two meals and your image in the small town.
As we headed back to delhi, the roads started widening, the expenses started increasing, the complexity started building up. My mind was full of pre terms, accounts, finance, big dreams, confusions. I want to live a life as simple as the one i left behind, for a day. I know its difficult, but i want to experience it for a day may be. Its just the inherent innocence of being untouched by moribund city life, which makes those people so lovable. I wish i could erase all my learnings and experience the happiness of possessing those white pearl bangles for a day and sleep with a certainity of a similar day coming up. Things have started changing so often in my life that the word "routine" has lost its meaning. I am sure that while things will become better in worldly sense, i feel i will lose myself and my free spirit with every step up. Its all a fairy tale for sure. In real life, my mind has been corrupted, i know luxuries, i know comforts. Happiness is not so simple for me, may be its a world beyond.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Garima..

beautiful story.. love the way uve written it.. simple and from the heart :) and also the one about Nonu :)

-Saurabh