Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Eeeuuuuuuuuuu

Well, this is something which i remembered early morning while talking to a gal in bus and i started laughing like mad. I thought i will share it with the love of my life "MY Blog". ( Yes, i want to call it mine) :)
The girl was mentioning on how she came across an uncle who told her what is the right place for gals and how they should behave and all that. I remembered a train journey. There was an old couple sitting next to me. It was Rajdhani and i had descended from the upper berth after reading my novel and was waiting for my dinner. Suddenly, both of them ( who seemed to be thoroughly bored of looking out of window) started a conversation.
"Beta, kaha se aae ho aur kahaa ja rahe ho?" I told them about the journey. They started asking about my education, my work. Suddenly, uncle saw an english novel in my hand. He started, this english culture, these novels are not good. I said uncle its on Indian history, it is nice, i can tell you in short what it is all about. BUT, NO! He was all set to tell me that being a girl reading is not what i need to do. I was like, alright, go on, i have a hollow pipe between my two ears and i am in no mood to argue. Thankfully my dad did not think the way you did, else i have no clue what would have happened to my life.
Man! he was getting too much. So, do you know how to cook? AND i told myself, did i tell him that i am looking for a maid's job. Anyway, chill, just answer. I said i know whatever is needed to live, i am not dependent. Uncle ji, dont you know how to cook, wash etc etc? I said, this is the problem with hindi culture, people are so dependent, they will look at books and clothes when they dont even know how to cook their own food and wash their own clothes. (Now, i was ready to take it heads on, enough is enough ok ;)) BTW, do you know?
He said nahi beta aunty hai na tumhari. I looked at the poor lady who looked thoroughly disgusted with her husband. Suddenly all my anger was gone. Yeah, dinner was over and i was having the sweet dish which was an "ice cream". I started laughing like mads. Uncle said kya hua bete? I said uncle, after all the seva that aunty does, you gave aunty to a stranger? He said kaise? I said you never said she is my wife, you said tumhari(stranger's) aunty. I wonder whats wrong in atleast accepting that she is your wife and you love her because you only know how to eat and not how to cook what you eat. I just hope we learn to acknowledge the love and care if nothing else. I am not so sure that this is culture and if it is, it is biased and i for sure think that i am more than a cook for rest of my life, at the cost of being uncultured or whatever bull shit. And then maid servants are available for 5k, so why bring someone home(detach from ething that she is born with) and crib over a bottle of liquor for rest of your life, calling it a "mistake". Please dont ruin people's life for your self interest. If you are "cultured", be good and sensible.
But anyways, goodnight!! I got to read that dirty novel, its damn good. It opens up my mind and hence i sit and comtemplate on culture, so i understand it disturbs your comfort factor. Bbye! It was nice talking to you both. They start staring back to nowhere out of the window and i get back to reading my "dirty" book on Indian history.

4 comments:

sanzzz said...

HA HA HA!! This is like Ramkishore and his wife. I can kind of imagine these kind of couples and laugh.
BTW, thanks for all the "good" food that you cooked for us and all the gyan sessions on books you read, on public demand "MY" friend. :)

Garima Ganeriwala said...

Thanks for cutting vegetables "MY" pal, though they were always cut in bad shapes. :)

Bornloser said...

25 posts in 28 days :)
not bad :)

Garima Ganeriwala said...

A blog a day keeps whatever away.. :) I am making up for the loss that will happen at ISB. I dont think i will be able to write so much there.