Thursday, April 30, 2009

Listen!!

This might sound like a simple word, but it is one of the most important words in our lives. Its difficult to not be prejudiced, its easy to form opinions and its very easy to speak your mind out. But this is what an average human can do. If one has to do something bigger and better in life, he/she needs to build the capability to listen. I usually talk a lot to people i am comfortable with and i have opinions about things as well. This time i decided to be a good listener. It is indeed impressive what listening can do. I found that in most discussions, i grew from defensive to inquisitive. I was learning with every word. By the end of listening, i had a clear understanding of what the person infront is talking to me about and whats forming his/her bias. My mind had processed my prejudice and had included the logics of the person in front, it gave me a new perspective. Listening can actually do wonders and i love people in all forms. They are all basically same, what changes them is their experiences in life and they will not come out of it easily to be convinced by you, just because you have repeated yourself 20 times. Convincing requires a strong understanding of what the person infront uses to convince you and for that you need to listen. Give that 10 minutes of silence, give the person in front the opportunity to talk. Speak when you know exactly what you are speaking and to whom. I had heard about Bihani from someone that the guy's silence can kill at times, but thats the way he runs an empire. He listens. One of my best frenz has the same art, he listens every bull shit till one stops. And now that i am convinced it works, i am at it, i am listening. :)

No comments: