Sunday, April 26, 2009

Variety!!

I love variety in life and i have done loads in 4 years of my professional life. Starting from a normal coder, to consulting to entrepreneurship to corporate planning and strategy to business development which is my new found love. In my job interview , i totally fell in love with my interviewer. I had one of the most amazing discussions ever in my life. You just click with some people. I usually dont get nervous during interviews, and i am just me, i make it a point that i dont fake anything. The person was one of the top 4 people in the firm and he had been in sales since ages. He started by why you among 70 applicants?? I said if i fail to convince you that i am fit for this job in next 10 minutes, i am not a good salesperson and we dont have much to discuss beyond that. I knew i had a whole lot to prove in 10 mins and then i just remembered Dad's word, you say what you do, you are my daughter, just chill. I was honest through out the interview and i was just me. We discussed on issues, i left aside my bookish knowledge and took each question based on how would have i dealt with in real life. I enjoyed it. By the end of 10 minutes, we were good. Then there were discussions on some issues that he had faced in business development in emerging markets and he finally asked me, so Hunting or Farming?? I said, i will hunt, i want challenges, dsnt matter which way i fall. Frankly speaking, it really dsnt matter which way my life falls, i will live it. I have got one life, i will live it to its fullest.
When people were crazy about Big 4 consults, i was reminded of the sad faces and foolish studious personas and i was like no, i am not someone who can interview 200 people, solve hypothetical probelms, give gyaan, have no life and butter the partner who changes my recommendations at his discretion. NO, i have done it and i dont want to have anything to do with it, i want a life now, i dont want consulting. I enjoyed corporate planning and strategy related roles, but then i was afraid that i was too young for them, no one offered me one on Day 1 and i took my day 1 offer, so this was a miss. Then i thought i was left with sales and marketing, but then i need action and talk, i need to sit across table, may be sales. I am quite excited about my new role, i know i will have a good one year to learn from senior people and take initiatives. I dont know how many more years i will work, but then till the time i do, i will enjoy it.

No comments: