Friday, April 24, 2009

Why India??

I always wanted to write about this long chat which i had with an exchange student from America. He was finding India interesting and he wanted to know why i liked India and given a choice why would i stay in India?
I never knew i loved my country so much till i got to stay abroad for an official work. Everything was great and in place, but i knew i wanted to go back to India. I remember when my Boss called up from India and told me that i have to stay in Switzerland for some work, my first reaction was that i dont want nething, no money, no luxury, no amount of sophistication can keep me here. I love the smell of my country and my people, i love India.
So, i told the guy that i love it here. Its what i have seen all my life, its what has made me and i like the fact that everyone on the road looks approachable to me in India. I know its just the kind of place you fall in love with. It is complex, it asks me to struggle for every little thing, its what had made me what i am and i stop growing the moment i am put in developed locations. My innovation dies, my spirit to struggle dies and i feel i am an alien. It is my nation and i m its citizen, it does not throw me out in odd times. It is just mine. I own this country. Go out, travel and learn, but remember God gave you citizenship for a reason, and sometime in life one needs to pay back. I had choices in life always, among b school admits, among the job postings, but i chose India and it was never an emotional decision. On practical grounds, this has always worked. Now, when i see so many of my friends struggling for visas, being jobless in US and UK and now when they are dying to come back despite them calling India poor and useless, i feel they must be denied the citizenship. They dont deserve it.
It might not be easy for me to stick to India with my new job, my salary negotiations have happened in USD and INR and i know that once the travel bit starts it wont stop, but given a choice, i will always want to grow India and grow with it. I am lucky that i was born here. I know that the social setup and mindset in India is a bit old now, but still i think it is improving and it has to get better.
I am not saying that there is anything perfect about India, it needs better security, it needs technology and there is more in form of refining the educated genre in here, but then this is mine and i must do something for it.

No comments: